The biggest temptation we face at parties are the sugar-packed sweets and desserts such as: pie, brownies, sweet breads, tarts, and favorites like CHEESECAKE! So, knowing that it’s hard to resist those yummy sweets around that time of the year, I have the solution to satisfy your sweet tooth and help you stay lean for the upcoming holiday season or events.
Help yourself to my Pumpkin Vegan “Cheese”cake! Yes, you read that correctly – a healthy version of Vegan cheesecake! Check it out…
This Pumpkin Cheesecake is packed with high fiber and also helps with blood sugar control. The carbs and protein contained in this dessert can help with recovery from endurance workouts by providing the right macro nutrients needed for glycogen resynthesis and anti-flammatory properties. So let’s pump(kin) up the dessert!
Ingredients for Cheesecake
8 oz Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese ( I like this brand) or any vegan cream cheese ok
12 oz extra-firm silken tofu
1-2 stevia packet
2 tbs cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup 100% pumpkin puree
2 tsp rum (optional)
2 tbs brown sugar or 2 stevia packets
1/2 tsp cinnamon ( Add more if you like)
1/4 tsp grated fresh nutmeg
Optional buy pre made Pie crust or make your own.
Ingredients for Oatmeal Pie Crust
1/2 cup gluten free oatmeal or regular is ok
1/2 cup whole wheat flour or can mix with gluten free all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp Vanilla
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
Optional add Cinnamon as much as you want
First step: Prepare the Crust
Pie Crust Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray the pan using atleast a 9 in pie pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray the pan using atleast a 9 in pie pan.
- Use a food processor, blender, or magic bullet and blend the oats till finely ground. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and blend well. Add the applesauce and mix till completely blended. Add the mixture into the pan. Start the center and flatten it till it covers the bottom evenly and extends the sides of the pan (as far as it can) Moisten fingers to make it easier.
- Add the mixture into the pan. Start the center and flatten it till it covers the bottom evenly and extends the sides of the pan (as far as it can) Moisten fingers to make it easier.
- Place in oven for at least 5 min, don’t over cook it because it will burn when you put put the cheesecake layers. In the mean time get the cheesecake prepped.
Second step: Prepare the cheesecake
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Use a food processor, blender, or magic bullet and put the first part of the ingredients. Starting from toffuti to vanilla. Blend until completely smooth. It should be silky smooth, no lumps.
- Remove a cup of this mixture from the processor, blender, or magic bullet. Spread it evenly in the bottom of the crust.
- Add the next set of ingredients the pumpkin to nutmeg to the remaining ingredients in the food processor and blend it till smooth. Once it’s mixed start from the center and smooth it carefully over the white layer in the crust.
- Bake until the center is almost set,about 50-60 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the center. If it’s firm it’s ready. If it comes out liquidy give it more time. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
Enjoy it’s Dar-licious and Vegan-licious!
Disclaimer: I am not a certified dietician, so please consult your physician before going on a plan – especially if you are allergic to any foods. Use your senses; you know your body better. Also, consult your doctor, pharmacist, psychotherapist, herbalist, chiropractor, dentist, shaman, voo-doo practitioner or other appropriate health professional before doing anything that might affect your physical or mental health.